St Leonard’s Church, Old Warden in Bedfordshire. Dating from the early 12th century and restored in the 20th, it contains medieval stained glass and carvings from many different periods, including the 16th and 19th centuries. Unfortunately, 15 panels of biblical scenes were stolen from the church in 1997.
The nearby Old Warden Park was owned by the Ongley family from the 17th century until the 1870s, when it was bought by the Shuttleworth family. Sir Samuel Ongley is described as “free from Pride and Ostentation” on his rather fancy church monument. The Ongley mausoleum stands in the churchyard. The church porch was added by Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth’s mother in his memory, after he died in an aviation accident in 1940. The nearby Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Park was founded by Richard in 1928 and details the history of aviation from the early 1900s to the 1950s.